Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Alternative running

It has been 9 weeks, exactly, that I have run. The hills combined with a change in running form without backing off on mileage gave me a stress fracture. It has been so hard to not run, but I'm following orders to get back on the road. I was in a boot for about 4 weeks and will be not running for at least the next 3 months.

I feel like I have been gaining weight, losing muscle, and overall getting back into a depression like I was last year, before I started running. Last Sunday was the Des Moines Marathon. I felt so down all day. All I could think about was I should have been running that marathon! My biological issue has also arisen again. This was perhaps the biggest push to get me to take action.

Tonight I went to an indoor pool to try to keep myself in shape. I knew I wouldn't be able to do as many miles as I would when I was out pounding the pavement, but I was hoping to at least get in one mile. I also wasn't sure how much I would be able to take of the water running. The pool was completely empty! I was the only one there. That was good. As I entered the pool a lifeguard climbed into the chair. I knew it would be either 10 min or an hour. In the back of my mind I wanted to reach a goal of at least 30 min in the water.

I quickly realized that I couldn't actually run in the water. At best I had to do a fast walk. The resistance was much more than I was anticipating. I walked as fast as I could for about 40 min, doing 32 down and back laps. It was actually 64 - 1/2 laps so I figured 32 full laps, right? Once the water reached my chest, it was too much to move so I stayed in the shallow end. I then swam another 8 full down and back laps. I had to do a lot of resting for the swimming part. I started off doing the breast stroke, but made it only about 1/2 way down. :( I just can't do that one. So, I did about everything else during those laps. Seriously, I need some major lessons in how to do that!! I just hold my breath the whole time. I think I'm afraid I will swallow water or something. I can exhale, but inhale is out of the question. So, vardotrichic, my question for you is how far is this really? Did I get at least a mile? I can't remember our conversation.

Anyway, when I got out of the pool and left the building I felt so awesome! It was that euphoric feeling that even though it was a ton of work and I was really tired and sweaty in there, it felt great. I want to do it again! It is certainly not my first choice of exercise, but it definitely felt great to be doing something again. We'll see how jello-y my legs are the next couple of days.

Next time I think I need to just walk about X min and then swim a few laps. I was trying to figure out how far I could go in X min however. I was also very consciously stepping on my toes and pushing off with them.

40 min walk; 20 min swim

1 comment:

  1. What pool did you run/swim in? From the lack of people it sounds like the High School. Am I right? One complete lap is 50 yards in the Municipal Pool (high school). If you were at Beyer it is the same distance. If you did 32 "full laps" is that one length or two? When swimming a "full lap" is down and back or two lengths of the pool to get the 50 yards. If you did 32 single lengths, you ran 800 yards which is 1/2 mile. If you ran 32 full laps, you ran 1600 yards, which is one mile. If you were at Ames Racquet and Fitness Center, you did less. That pool is only about 23 yards long.

    I am glad you felt like you got a workout in and want to get lessons :) You will be doing triathlons before you know it :)

    ReplyDelete