Saturday, October 23, 2010

Membership

Well, I broke down and got a family membership at an indoor pool and rec facility. This way the whole family can enjoy the pool, weights, gym, and other opportunities all year. I figured even after I can start running again I probably won't be running far so this will be a good opportunity to cross train and also keep up the endurance and muscle tone.

Rachael went with me today so I had a companion. I walked for 40-45 minutes and swam for 15-20 min. I completed an hour in all. There were some other little girls in the pool, but it was mostly empty. Ironically, there were two lifeguards this time. Not sure if it was because there were younger kids there or why they had two of them. They also had two ropes across the pool so I couldn't swim the entire length of the pool. I was really hoping to get some long laps in again today. I wonder if it was the timing in it all.

While swimming today I realized a few things. I really need to count laps rather than look at the block. I push myself harder with the laps rather than the clock. No matter how many laps I put in I will still be in the water the same amount of time. Next time I will count laps. Also when I was actually doing the long laps I tried to do the breast stroke again, but became quite frustrated with not being able to do the breathing so I tried to do it with my head above water. I'm sure I looked pretty silly, but I was able to swim much farther that way. I think I'm afraid I will swallow water or something. Also it doesn't seem to be as efficient pulling my arms down through the water as it is pulling the around and to the side of my body. Seems like I gain more yardage that way.

40 min walking; 20 min laps

No comments:

Post a Comment