Wednesday, June 9, 2010

ducks, cows, and trust

Yes, that's right, another recovery run done. I had to call on the ducks to get my feet started and then had to "milk the cows" to pull myself through the end. I saw Spirit of the Marathon awhile back and Deena Kaster was at the end of her marathon. Her legs were spent and you could tell she was using her arm muscles to pull her through. She was hurting, but continued to forge ahead. I thought, huh, what an interesting concept. I imagine two thick ropes on each side of me that I pull myself to the end of the block, to the end of the mile, to the top of the hill, or whatever I am trying to defeat. As I pull on these ropes, I feel like I am milking a cow! My hands literally grab the ropes and pull back with each stride.

It was a difficult run physically. I had a lot of mental talk to do to keep myself going. I feel like I should be running longer and more this week, but am putting my trust in my research and reading. I really had an easy time on Sat running almost a half marathon. I really felt like I could have kept going and run back to Saylorville. It was so much fun to be able to sprint the last quarter or tenth of a mile. I have never felt so much energy the last bit of a run like that. I have to trust and have faith that it will work. Everything has worked so far and I have to keep believing!

Well, my prayers have been answered for Saturday. Vardotrichic's friend will be going to Marathon with me. I hope I can keep up with her. She is about my pace and we have similar goals. Yes, I know, I'm not supposed to have a time goal, just finish the run, but I think I will be able to finish somewhere between 4:30 and 5 hrs. I see her times are usually within that as well so we should make a good team! The email conversations I've had with her seem to reveal that we have similar priorities with this run so I think it will be fun. I am very optimistic despite the weather forecast.

3.5 mile run; .1 mile walk; RPE - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment