Thursday, July 22, 2010

100% humidity

This is really a post for yesterday but I didn't have time to write.

I wanted to wake up and make the Stanhope run. I set the alarm for 3AM hoping I would be back by 7 and my kids wouldn't miss me too much. I woke up, looked at the weather on the computer and it said 100% humidity. ugh. I knew I'd never make it to Stanhope. I went back to bed. I woke up again around 4:30. I went out hoping for a few miles at least. I felt great at 3 miles so I kept going. The miles were flying by like blocks. The minutes were flying by like seconds. I was alone. It was a great feeling! I thought maybe I could do at least 15 miles. I was discouraged that I had only gone 13 miles since the marathon so I really wanted to go a littel farther at least.

A few weeks ago, before Claire got sick I found a training program that had 3-20 mile runs in it. I really wanted to do this to train for Des Moines. With vacation coming up, I wanted to do at least one of the runs before we left. This was my last week and I was having some really yucky runs. I really didn't think it was possible. The humidity was really geting to me!

As I was running, I felt so good. Things were moving along quite well. I kept adding more and more miles. The more I ran the more I realized I could do 20 miles today! I was going to meet Vardotrichic for lunch. It would be awesome to tell her I did 20 today! I was starting to get tired about mile 15. Hmmmm, this was the point I was starting to get tired in the marathon, too. I only needed 5 more miles today. I could do it! I was going to get back into town at 16 miles. I will go home, tell Rachael to get her running clothes on and meet me in the driveway 10 min later. I ran another mile and back to the house as I called another friend to ask if she wanted to go running, too. She did!

OK, I'm at 17 miles, only 3 to go. That's a 5K for Rachael. We ran 1/2 mile to the friend's house and went another 2 miles. The last 1/2 mile was the trip back home. I did it! I ran 20 miles today! I really think I could have done a marathon today! I felt GREAT! It is amazing to have such a great run. It was extremely humid, too.

20 mile run; .2 mile walk; RPE - 4

Tomorrow we start vacation so I may not be running for a couple weeks. yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment