Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Water Experiment

Well, it's midnight and I finally unpacked the sleigh from a 14 trip, finished my run, "hottub" time, and am sitting to post my next blog entry. I knew you lost some (water) weight while exercising, and my research suggested that I weigh myself before I run and after so that I can replenish the weight in water lost. Well, in 30 min running, another 20ish walking so that I could finish watching Monk, I lost .8 lbs. I was a little surprised how much that was in such a short period of time. That's a lot of sweating, nearly 600 calories, 180 fat calories! So now my question is: how much do you have to drink to replenish a pound of weight loss? I certainly don't have to weigh myself every few minutes to see if I am back to prerun weight. Speaking of which, I have gained a pound since I started this. Ugh. I know it's early. OK, it's VERY early, but that's one of my goals. I know I know, muscle weighs more than fat.

The run tonight went pretty well. Vardotrichic, I took your suggestion and didn't stretch before. I just got on the treadmill and started running. I did a little stretching afterwards, but just ran cold. We'll see how that goes. I thought I would have been more tired faster, but it wasn't the case. I'm sure it was more acclimation, but the run went really really well. I felt as though I was hardly puffing tonight. That's encouraging! I think I could have gone the four miles and even contemplated it, but it's late so I didn't. Vardotrichic, thanks for all the encouragement! It really does help. I hope I can keep this going. Now, GO SWIMMING!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Asics 2140 size 8D...or was that 5140, I don't remember. They are a coooool blue. Lucky 13 more days.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE it when a run feels good :) CONGRATULATIONS!! Don't run further than you have to until you get into your new shoes...you don't want any injuries by having a compensation in your gait for the lack of support in your shoes. The fact that you felt like you could run 4 miles is a HUGE stepping stone!!

    You can do anything you put your mind to (including keeping this going). Just think of Team Hoyt and if you have to, pull up that short video on the computer for the last few minutes of a run (or even when a run gets difficult). I have found nothing more inspiring than the Team Hoyt pair.

    I did go swimming and learned a lot :) I have a new desire to get better in the water...now I just have to practice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I lost about 5 pounds running 14 miles on the treadmill today in water weight...if only it stayed off :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so you lost 5 pounds, how much did you drink to get that back? Is there a formula for this? oz for oz? gal for lb? I haven't a clue, especially since my body really doesn't need that much fluid to keep going, compared to other people. Just drink until you don't feel thirsty anymore? I force myself to drink after a run, but prefer not to.

    ReplyDelete