Wednesday, May 5, 2010

New month - new shoes

Well, a new month has started so I guess that means I need a new pair of shoes. Yep that's right: I've gone through three pair of shoes in as many months. This is getting silly. However, they were cheaper than the last pair and I have a week of indoor running to return them if they don't work out.

I went to Runner's Flat at the suggestion of Vardotrichic. I hope this is the last pair that I will need. They were very nice and seemed to really know what they were talking about there. I feel more knowledgeable now than a few months ago when I bought my first pair of shoes so I asked lots more questions. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner!) I will be in the correct pair of shoes. I ran on the treadmill for a little bit and they looked at my run. I discovered I run in a totally straight line. I mean s.t.r.a.i.g.h.t! That was rather weird to see. I always thought my feet went side by side, but I think I could run a tightrope. Anyway, my feet hit the ground straight so my shoes are tooooo much support, causing my foot to strain more as I run, putting more pressure on the IT band.

When I got home, I ran and didn't feel the nasty pain until about 3/4 mile so that was good. I almost thought it was going to be a good run! I went 2 miles, but felt I could go farther. Again, I didn't want to push it too much so I stopped and walked. My muscles were starting to burn anyway so it was probably better. I just hope I'm not losing what I've worked up to this far. When I walked upstairs again, the climb was nasty, but walking around the house was a much better after-run than I've had in a few weeks. Maybe it's all in my head, but this may actually work.

One of the positive side effects of all this running is a loss of 14 lbs. One of the negative side effects of all this running is the physical pain, resulting in less running, thus gradual weight gain again. ugh. I quit eating school lunch again and am just eating lightly again. This is helping, but I really just want to RUN!

2 mile run; 10 min walk; RPE - 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment